Three days, two updates and a developer in a chair that looks nothing like a pear tree.
Today’s update has a fix for a bug that was causing certain document and image links to link to the attachment page rather than the file itself. So if you’ve run into said problem, or simply want to avoid the problem all together head on out and get version 1.6.2. And if you don’t have the plugin already what are you waiting for, head on over to the WordPress Repository and create a Link to Your Content today.
Where did I read recently that testing was an important part of programming?
Ah, right, the post directly below this one. That I wrote. Two months ago. One of these days I will have to learn to take my own advice. In the meantime I will continue to dutifully keep the plugin updated and working for as many people as I conceivably can.
Which brings me to the most recent release, 1.6.1. Unbeknownst to me, because I never tested this case, you couldn’t link a full line of text in IE with the method I was using to create the link in tinyMCE. Well, now you can. A few small behind the scenes tweaks to the way links are handled, and to styles, have the plugin working fully and looking a little better in IE. So if you’re using IE I recommend updating to the latest version so you can actually use the plugin as it was intended. And if you’re not using IE I still recommend updating to the latest version to stay current, just because.
Testing is important. Thats a given. You know that. I know that. Measure twice, cut once. I’m used to browser testing my work to ensure it looks right wherever it may be viewed. As a plugin developer however, I still have some learning to do.
Having released one plugin out into the wild I did so when I felt pretty confident that it worked and was ready for use. Use in this case referring to the way in which I had planned on using the plugin for the website it was initially created for. Of course that doesn’t account for any of the other ways the plugin can be used, all of which I created myself.
Then came the next bug and another update. Then a feature release update. And another error that I found looking over the code. New release, same story. Now a few versions in I feel pretty confident that things are working as they should, for any use of the plugin. Of course now that I’ve said that the next time I go in there I will probably find or introduce something else.
Its a good lesson to be learned, test, test and when you think everything is working, test it again. One of these days I may even look up something to help me test better. Which would probably help seeing as how the two plugins I am currently working on are more complicated than what I have worked on to date. Until then, back to testing.
What’s this…proper version numbering? For shame.
Now that my SVN issues are (mostly) figured out, it only made sense to get back to a more normal version numbering scheme. Hence version 1.5, 1.5.1 and now 1.6 of Link to Your Content complete with:
- New External tab giving you the option to easily link to an external (or internal) URL or an e-mail address
- Default link target has been switched to “open in the same window”
- Fixed a bug with the link target
- Fixed a bug with custom link titles
- Default link title is now the text that was selected
- New screenshots showcasing the updates
What are you doing down here? The important information is up there. Stop reading and start linking.
Alright, so it doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as the old Flintstone vitamin commercials, but I was admittedly a little happy/proud to see that the first plugin I had released made it over the 1000 download mark. And I figured it was a good first milestone to mark with some sort of announcement/feature release.
Pagination, Table for 20
Speaking of feature release, Version 1.5.1 of Link to Your Content has officially been let loose upon on the internet now with user defined pagination values. So instead of having to use the default 20, though you still can, you can now decide for yourself after how many entries the plugin should paginate. I know what you’re thinking, glamorous right, with all that I could have done this was clearly the best upgrade and the one everyone was waiting for. What can I say, I live to please.
Although the roadmap for the plugin isn’t wrong, I do plan on adding the ability to create external and email links as well as the ability to search. It just wasn’t in the cards for an update that I could start and finish in one afternoon.
So to those 1000 or so people who decided, whether in their right mind of not, to download and use this simple little plugin I wrote I say thank you.